Friday, December 3, 2010

Time and the Tide

It has been quite some time since my last entry. Quincey has grown to be over thirty-five pounds and has been through some rough times. He has also had quite a lot of successes as well. Through it all, he has been my closest and constant companion. We have gone through other dog attacks, almost becoming homeless, rejection, eye infections, facial scars, Giardias attacks, warts, demodetic mange and disappointments galore. He is loyal to a fault (he follows me everywhere and will not sleep until I sleep), friendly and obedient. He guards me constantly. He comes to me when called, even at the dog park and has more energy than three dogs combined. He can scale chain-linked fences, can jump over six feet and is as strong as a sixty pound dog. He will be due for his annual checkup soon but he has been to the vet twice since his last yearly for obvious reasons.

I read the pet section of Craigslist often. In fact, when I was looking for a dog, before I found Quincey at the pound, I used to read this section everyday. I get sad when I read "moving, so I have to let him go." I understand that there are restrictions from state to state that require a lot of hoop jumping in order to transfer a dog from one state to another, but I would never give Quincey up just because of that. I have even gone without dinners in order to pay his vet bills because life without him is just not an option. I am the richer because he is in my life. Yes, it has not been easy. I am not a wealthy individual. But as long as I live, I will never give up my friend. He is my buddy and always will be.

Recently, I saw a Nat Geo special about dogs. I learned that when you pet them, there is an exchange of something called Oxytocin, a biological agent of some kind that gets transmitted on a molecular level through the blood. They have found traces of it in the blood of both the animal and the owner after a petting session. This same agent and molecular transfer, happens in mothers while they are breastfeeding and is considered a physical bonding mechanism.

I could never give up my friend.

No comments:

Post a Comment