Wednesday, June 30, 2010

"Know the smallest things and the biggest things, the shallowest things and the deepest things." Musashi Miyamoto from The Book of the Five Rings

My pal, Quincey, is a rescue pup, about to turn eight months old. I got him when he was twelve weeks and he weighed eight pounds, five ounces. His ribs were showing and one eye socket was bigger than the other. The first time I saw him, he was in a cold kennel with three other puppies around the same age. He was the smallest and was in a corner, napping in the middle of a bleak and rainy day in late January. The other puppies were playing and running around the kennel, barking and biting each other but Quincey was just chilling in a corner, curled up tight, his big ears pinned back as if he was trying not to listen to the noise. I stood, fascinated by the fact that he was so independent for such a little one. My gut told me, after four months of waiting and searching, that he was it. But I didn't want to make a rash decision so I left, hoping to see him the next day. I got half way home and was afraid that I would never see him again. Then, a little voice told me to have faith. I listened.

I went back the next day, same time.

The City Animal Shelter on Front Street in Sacramento places informational cards in plastic pouches attached to the kennels. These cards tell prospective owners the information they would need to know before making a decision to purchase a rescue dog or puppy. When I got there, Quincey's card was missing from the pouch. I turned and left in tears. I went back the next day, saying if it was meant to be, it was meant to be. When I got there, he was playing with an all-black pit bull female pup about the same age and twice as large.
I was so happy, I grabbed the card and walked to the front desk and told them I wanted to meet this little puppy, the rest, as they say is history.

There are many reasons for wanting the companionship of a canine. The title "man's best friend," is attached to them for a reason. One of the most valuable lessons dogs can teach us actually comes from their ancestors, the wolves. Dogs teach us how to become clear and direct leaders. You can't beat around the bush when you tell a dog to do something and you can't treat them poorly and expect love and devotion. You must balance firmness with a light touch and be direct and consistent so they know what to expect and what is expected from them. Training is very important and consistency is an absolute. Nothing makes for a more nervous dog then inconsistent behavior patterns in humans.

I am ready for some lessons. I think Quincey is too.

No comments:

Post a Comment