Saturday, July 17, 2010

Leadership Growing Pangs

"The leadership instinct you are born with is the backbone. You develop the funny bone and the wishbone that go with it."
Elaine Agather

I have great instincts. I can sit by the sidelines, analyze a problem within seconds and then come up with a step-by-step solution to just about anything. In fact, unlike many, I actually enjoy the logical process of coming up with a solution after the intellectual wrestling match. My problem has always been the fact that I second guess my motives. In each moment of problem-solving, I self-analyze and want to know why I have the need to solve this problem. I paralyze myself with soul-searching: 'Do I need to be wanted?' 'Am I being selfish?' 'Shouldn't I let them just figure it out for themselves?' 'Why do I have to control outcomes?' 'What's the most important lesson here?' 'Is this the right answer for this group of people?' Analysis/paralysis is not a very useful tool for leadership.

I have been doing that a lot lately with Quincey. Since I am fairly new to the 'metaphysics of puppiness,'or 'The Tao of Pup,' I find myself becoming more and more uncomfortable with the unknown. Here's the thing...my little pup has no fear of the unknown, in fact, since he lives in the moment, the unknown is not a reality for him. I see the dilemma as clear as the nose on my face. I have no fear of plunging into the abyss of the unknown when it is my own life I am responsible for. I am a total, unabashed coward when it comes to watching my puppy experience the same thing.

He's been dealing with some traditional maladies that supposedly are common to a puppy. I was told by the Vet, the best possible treatment for these things is no treatment and to curb his socializing activities because he is highly contagious to other puppies under the age of one. I was told that he needs to develop the anti-bodies on his own to deal with these issues or they will become chronic in adulthood. "One day they are here; the next day they are gone." was the exact quote.

That sounds a lot like measles, mumps, chicken pocks, the croup and a host of other 'common maladies' we all had to deal with as children....well at least my generation did. But that did not make them any less dangerous or important benchmarks to growth. I have an amazing immune system for my age because I went through some of those childhood diseases and I am grateful for the watchful and soothing nature of my mother during those times.


What does this teach me about leadership?


Sometimes, even when you love something, in order to maintain strength of vision and mission; detachment, faith and tranquility are necessary when there is trouble. It is impossible to make the proper judgment without it. Patience and persistence are just as important as tasks and activity. I could research the immune systems of puppies, I could get the latest, most expensive 'immune booster' for puppies, I could create my own, homeopathic poultice but ultimately he has got to work these issues out, just like I did-and he will be stronger for the successful completion of his task.

I have to have the wisdom to wait, to know when not to act and in inaction, having the faith in the process, that he knows what is best and will do the right thing. That is the lesson that this moment in his life is teaching me.

No comments:

Post a Comment