Monday, July 5, 2010

Slings and Arrows


We suffered our first bully attack today at the dog park. My husband took Quincey out to the park. We can't get Quincey to play with the smaller dogs or rather the smaller dogs just won't play with him. He prefers the company of the big dogs. He usually holds his own pretty well and manages to have a lot of fun in the process. There are actually quite a few of the big dogs that like to play with ol' Q because he just doesn't quit and he's got variation and skillz! I am usually standing right over the proceedings and never let him out of arms reach or my sight. This gives me a workout as you can imagine but it is worth it.

As my husband explains it, all the dogs took a water break at the same time (rare but not unusual) and when Quincey went to get a drink; a blond lab was drinking as well. The lab nipped Quincey on the muzzle but Quincey was fast. He's got a scratch there and has experienced a lesson I hope he won't ever forget. The wound is not as deep as my husband's wounded pride but I can't do much about that. He is going to have to do a better job keeping up with the puppy and these things can and do happen. It occurs to me that it is much like the first scrape on the knee that draws blood for a kid, the first black eye, the first set of stitches. Quincey got off with just a nick. That's how smart and quick he is. I just adore that phenomenal pup!

No comments:

Post a Comment